Randall L. Mitchell
Direct Dial: (312) 781-2804
Randy Mitchell concentrates his practice in business litigation matters. He has represented clients and tried a wide variety of cases in federal and state courts, trial and appellate, and in arbitrations. His practice is nationwide. While most of his work is local to the Chicago area, his clients' cases have taken him to courthouses in such far-flung places as Syracuse, New York; St Joseph, Missouri; Muskogee, Oklahoma; and Florence, Alabama.
His cases have included complex class actions (two of which he took to trial, resulting in favorable verdicts), securities and insurance law matters, contract and tort claims, discrimination and other employment cases, intellectual property disputes and a wide variety of other litigation matters. He represents businesses of varying sizes, including manufacturers, financial service companies and others, as well as individuals. In addition to his active litigation practice, he frequently counsels corporate management and individuals regarding litigation avoidance.
- Obtained an order of dismissal for a manufacturer client in a False Claims Act case in the D.C. District and successfully defended the appeal in the D.C. Circuit. In his opinion, John Roberts, now Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, quoted from our appellate brief.
- After sixteen years of litigation, won a jury verdict in a multi-million dollar class action case on behalf of the defendants, a major insurance company, and over thirty of its officers and directors. The case, which included claims under the federal securities acts, ERISA and RICO, had nationwide significance to the insurance industry. We successfully upheld the verdict on appeal.
- Successfully defended an ex-salesman charged with breaches of fiduciary duty and tortious interference. After a two-week trial, the jury found in favor of the defendant on all counts and awarded him damages (unpaid sales commissions) on his counterclaim.
- Obtained the dismissal of a gender discrimination case on a motion, and successfully defended the dismissal on appeal. Our client was a Chicago law firm that terminated the plaintiff, a female partner.
- Successfully represented clients in cases involving such diverse matters as alleged fraud in the purchase of fractional oil well interests; breach of contract in purchasing block hotel rooms for a convention; and various insurance coverage cases.
- Named a Super Lawyer 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
- Rated AV (highest rating) by Martindale Hubbell
- Commercial Litigation
- Employment Litigation and Counseling
- Insurance Litigation
- Complex Litigation
- Securities and Commodities Litigation
- UNITED STATES SUPREME COURT
- UNITED STATES COURTS OF APPEAL
- Seventh Circuit
- Eleventh Circuit
- District of Columbia Circuit
- UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURTS
- Northern District of Illinois (including trial bar)
- Central District of Illinois (including trial bar)
- Eastern District of Wisconsin
- UNITED STATES TAX COURT
Cook County Mandatory Arbitration Program
Certified Mediator, Part 20, Cook County Rules
MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
American Bar Association - Member, Sections on Litigation; Labor and Employment Law;Torts and Insurance Practice
Seventh Circuit Bar Association
Chicago Lincoln American Inn of Court\
- 1996 - Present Adducci, Dorf, Lehner, Mitchell & Blankenship, P.C.
- 1989 - 1996 Schuyler, Roche & Zwirner
- 1980 - 1989 Adams, Fox, Adelstein, Rosen & Bell
- 1971 - 1980 Chapman and Cutler
- 1968 - 1971 United States Navy, USS Franklin D. Roosevelt (CVA-42)
University of Illinois College of Law, J.D., 1967
University of Michigan, B.A., 1964