James D. Adducci
Direct Dial: (312) 781-2807
Jim Adducci is an experienced commercial litigator who has handled diverse cases throughout the United States and in Europe. He represents clients that range in size from large, publicly traded companies to individuals. His clients represent a wide variety of industries including equipment distribution, financial services, securities and commodities, medical devices, manufacturing of heavy machinery, and many others. He is an experienced trial lawyer in state and federal courts and before various arbitration tribunals.
Jim's practice spans virtually all areas of commercial litigation. It has included areas as diverse as intellectual property, securities and commodities, breach of contract, antitrust, business torts, class action defense, construction, real estate, insurance, ERISA, RICO, accountant malpractice, breach of warranty, and trusts and estates.
- Tried a month-long jury trial, representing a European manufacturer against its American distributor. The trial resulted in a favorable verdict, the other party appealed and the case settled on a favorable basis while the appeal was pending.
- Prosecuted an arbitration claim for securities fraud on behalf of a corporate investor against a national brokerage house and its broker. After a hearing, the arbitrators rendered a favorable award and referred the matter for disciplinary action against the respondents.
- Prosecuted an action against two corporations for misappropriation of trade secrets. The case was tried to a jury in federal court in Chicago. The jury found in favor of our client and awarded it substantial actual and punitive damages. The verdict was affirmed by the Seventh Circuit on appeal.
- Defended three major financial institutions in a class action which alleged violations of the Truth in Lending Act. The claim was dismissed on a motion to dismiss. Plaintiffs' counsel initially appealed, but voluntarily dismissed their appeal after receiving our appellate briefs.
- Defended an investment banking firm in a class action brought on behalf of stockholders of a major corporation who had tendered their shares pursuant to a tender offer. Our client was charged with giving an improper opinion as to the value of the shares. After extensive discovery and motion practice, the case was settled with no payment being required from our client.
- Litigated a trademark and trade dress infringement and unfair competition case on behalf of a manufacturer of railroad equipment. We obtained preliminary and permanent injunctions requiring the defendant company to change its name and its packaging. We also obtained an award of damages.
- Prosecuted an action for breach of warranty on behalf of a major aluminum manufacturer. The defendant was a supplier of scrap aluminum whose scrap aluminum exploded when our client attempted to remelt it. We tried the case to a jury in federal court in Columbus, Ohio. As the case was about to go to the jury, it was settled on terms favorable to our client.
- Represented three national brokerage firms in a multi-million dollar accounting malpractice action they brought against a national accounting firm. The suit arose out of a large extension of credit made to a trading firm based upon a misleading financial statement prepared by the brokerage firm. This case was tried to a jury in Illinois state court. It was settled on favorable terms as it was about to go to the jury.
- Tried a month-long bench trial defending our clients against numerous, complex ERISA claims. The judge rendered a favorable judgment for our clients. The plaintiffs appealed to the Ninth Circuit which affirmed the decision. Plaintiffs then filed a petition for certiorari with the United States Supreme Court which was denied.
- Named a Super Lawyer 2005 through 2017
- Rated AV (highest rating) by Martindale Hubbell
- Named a Leading Lawyer in Commercial Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Securities and Commodities Litigation
- Complex Litigation
- UNITED STATES COURTS OF APPEAL
- First Circuit
- Third Circuit
- Fifth Circuit
- Seventh Circuit
- Eighth Circuit
- Ninth Circuit
- Eleventh Circuit
- Federal Circuit
- UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURTS
- Northern District of Illinois (including trial bar)
- Central District of Illinois
- Eastern District of Wisconsin
- American Arbitration Association
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority
- National Futures Association
MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Chicago - Member, Board of Advisors
Chicago Bar Association
Loyola University Chicago, College of Arts and Sciences - Member, Dean's Advisory Council
- 1996 - Present Adducci, Dorf, Lehner, Mitchell & Blankenship, P.C.
- 1982 - 1996 Schuyler, Roche & Zwirner
- 1977 - 1982 Kirkland & Ellis
- 1976 - 1977 Law Clerk to the Honorable Bernard M. Decker, United States
District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Harvard Law School, J.D., 1976
Loyola University of Chicago, B.A. Honors, Summa Cum Laude, 1973